Ganoderma lucidum is a mushroom that is known as ling zhi in China, and commonly referred to as the reishi mushroom in Japan and the Western world. As you read through this list of ganoderma lucidum benefits, you will notice many similarities to the benefits of cordyceps sinensis. This is because many species of fungi contain similar chemical components.
And many of these chemical compounds are unique and not found in significant quantities in other plants. These many health benefits will surely help you to understand why fungi are one of the oldest food sources for us as humans. No ganoderma lucidum side effects have been reported.
Ganoderma Lucidum Benefits
- Analgesic-This means that ganoderma has been shown to relieve minor pain.
- Anti-allergy activity-While the ganoderma, or reishi mushroom has been shown to increase natural killer (NK) cells and interferon production, there are other parts of the fruiting body that may modulate the immune system so that it doesn’t attack harmless substances and healthy tissue.
- Bronchitis and bronchial asthma treatment-This also includes regeneration of bronchial epithilium.
- Anti-inflammatory-This is important because total body inflammation is beginning to be recognized as a contributing factor to many different diseases such as coronary artery disease, cancer, and irritable bowel disease.
- Antibacterial-Ganoderma lucidum has shown action against Staphylococci, Streptococci, and Bacillus pneumoniae. This is probably due to increased immunity.
- Antioxidant activity-This helps protect the body from free radical damage. Free radicals are always present in the human body.
- Anti-tumor agent-Increases natural killer cells among other parts of our natural immune process.
- Anti-viral agent-This is accomplished by increasing interferon production.
- Autoimmune disorders-While ganoderma has been shown to increase natural killer cell activity. It may also, for reasons unknown, stop the immune system from attacking healthy tissue.
- Blood pressure lowering effects-Hypertension is a contributing factor for heart disease.
- Bone marrow cell proliferation
- Cardiotonic effect-This includes lowering serum cholesterol levels while not affecting triglycerides.
- Central depressant-Ganoderma lucidum has been shown to have a calming effect on the body and mind as a whole. It has been used as a remedy for insomnia.
- Natural killer cell (NK) in vitro in mice-NK cells attack abnormal cells such as tumor cells.
- Expectorant and antitussive-This is a function that helps to cut through mucus and relieve respiratory problems.
- Immunopotentiation-This means an increase in overall immune function.
- Anti-HIV activity in vitro and in vivo
- Improved adrenocortical function
- Increased production of Interleukin-1 in vitro-Both Interleukin 1 and Interleukin 2 are essential for proper immune function.
- Increased production of Interleukin-2 in vitro
- Liver detoxifying and protective effect-Ganoderma is one of the many medicinal fungi that has been shown to have a beneficial effect on the liver. Proper liver function is essential for almost every aspect of human health.
- Protection from ionizing radiation-When treated with ganoderma lucidum both before and after exposure.
- Ulcer inhibiting activity-Probably due to the central depressant effect.
- White blood cell and hemoglobin increase in peripheral blood of mice.
What we must remember is that the above mentioned benefits are probably only the tip of the iceberg. There will surely be more to come, as the research into this medicinal fungus is only in it’s infancy. It’s surely no wonder why this rare mushroom has been prized for ages.
But luckily, we don’t have to wait for science to discover all of the benefits of ganoderma lucidum. Our health is in our own hands. It’s much easier to invest in our health now than it is to try to recover from a debilitating condition. When there is a healthy coffee containing Ganoderma lucidum available for consumption all we have to is enjoy these benefits and more.
Source: Cordyceps Sinensis